Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

Weird post, I know. But, I feel like this veggie gets bad press. It's pretty delicious! I mean, who doesn't love a tiny cabbage? It's makes a great side dish, but if you're having company, I would check to make sure they don't have any childhood baggage related to this vegetable first.

Basic Brussels Sprouts
by Lori Lewis

1 lb. brussels sprouts, stems chopped off and sprouts cut in half
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. olive oil
1 can low sodium chicken broth

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add Brussels sprouts and garlic. Saute until Brussels sprouts turn a slightly more vivid green. Add chicken broth to the pan and simmer until Brussels sprouts reach desired tenderness (I like mine with a little crunch left in them). Serves 3-4.


This is them hanging out in the chicken broth after having been sauteed.



1 comment:

  1. We've tried this one twice... and passed it on to another friend. Let's just say, that I have now eaten brussel sprouts three times in my entire life (that I can remember anyways). Once was a flop (pre this recipe) and the other two... well, it's an experience I intend to repeat. and repeat. and repeat. Thanks for making me a believer in better than edible brussel sprouts. Sam is thrilled!

    ReplyDelete